
Nine9 bar at Protea Skyz Hotel.
Last week I was invited to cover an event at Protea Skyz Hotel on Naguru Hill in the posh neighbourhoods of Kampala and I was excited because, wait for it, it was my first time to go there.
In the past, I had always wondered how the place actually looks like, as I would occasionally twist my head and peep through the taxi window whenever I passed by that Ntinda road. Being on the hill gives it such a wonderful view.
As a professional timekeeper, I was there by 5 pm, the time the event was supposed to start but as I had anticipated, most people weren’t there up to 6 pm, so African time is really a thing! Damn, I hate it so much.
Anyway, back to the topic. The event kicked off at Ninety9 bar on the rooftop and enjoyments that included different cocktails, beers, juice, and women were passed around like nobody’s business. I had my juice in front of me that I kept sipping as I watched the sunset and the beautiful ladies that kept coming in. It was a beautiful sight.
![]() |
| My Pineapple and Watermelon juice. |
All was going great until one of the waitresses came to our table with a tray full of food. Meat. Irish potatoes. Fries. Slices of lemon. Salads. Etc. Now it should be noted that I wasn’t hungry at all but I am a foodie so my appetite doesn’t need hunger to survive, it is always present.
The guys around me hurriedly reached out to the tray to pick whatever they wanted, and I asked, “What kinda meat is this?”
And at that exact moment, the very jolly server replied, “This tray has pieces of beef, chicken, goat meat, and pork. Just pick whatever you prefer.”
Now, guys, I know I say this a lot but, I have never been so disturbed in my life. Ever. Like, how can a whole 5-star international hotel not know that some of their guests may be Muslims and not eat pork?
Ok maybe I have gone too far with pork; Some people eat chicken but are hella allergic to beef. And you decide to put everything on the SAME goddamn tray?
Were you running out of trays and said to your unprofessional selves, “Ouh aah let’s just put everything together for these peasants.” Like oh, COME ON man that was so wrong!
I mean if a local restaurant in the slums of my former village in Namungoona can put the food and sauce on two different plates, what about Protea Skyz Hotel that has branches in almost every country on the continent (citation needed)?
![]() |
| The sunset I captured through the lens of my broken screen phone. |
What if I hadn’t asked? I would have eaten pork, unknowingly!!!
Before all that happened, I had promised myself to go drink more of their juice and take more photos of the sunset from Ninety9 at the rooftop but now my mind is all changed!
The money I would have spent on juice and transport and food, I am going to save it and buy myself a blender to make my own juice and I will take the sunset photos through the window of my kazigo.
On a serious note though, Ninety9 bar at Protea Skyz Hotel that was not cool. AT ALL. You should know better and do better.


Sorry about your experience, but that is how they usually serve on platters.Maybe they should have asked the audience and served accordingly.
ReplyDeleteYou do not mix everything together people have allergies and taboos and stuff there is no excuse to put everything on the same plate for your guests.
DeleteSo sorry lv
ReplyDelete