Arsenal's performance in the opening match of the UEFA Champions league was quite disappointing. It makes you wonder whether it's a world class club. Arsenal came into that match against Borrusia Dortmund with an upper hand in almost everything. Their manager, Arsene Wenger has been in charge for 160 champions league matches, only second to the retired Sir. Alex Ferguson of Manchester United, now that's way above Dortmund's Klopp. So even putting the fact that Arsenal were the visitors, Wenger would surely put that experience into tactics to win that match. I guess he didn't. Or he did but the players failed to implement the tactics on the pitch. I saw a few other points that'd have contributed to the loss.
I failed to understand what Mesut Özil was doin on the pitch. I can't hide it that I'm a very big fan and admirer of Özil for his ability on a good day, but last night wasn't really that day. I'm sure if that's the kind of football he was playing at Real Madrid, Arsenal wouldn't have spent over £42m buying him. But he's really talented, has exceptional class and composure. He didn't show any of that during the match. If he failed at that, atleast he'd have shown some spirit and effort. Nor did I see any of that. And Arsenal played with 10 men till he was substituted.
Another thing is Welbeck. Why'd you play Welbeck ahead of Lukas Podolski?? In my opinion, the latter is a better forward. I mean his experience in big matches, speed and being a German, I'm quite sure he'd have performed better. But Arsenal should actually check on the way they buy players, more especially the strikers. From Thieiry Henry, I think only Robin van Persie has been the only good striker Arsenal has had(seen that??). All the others from Eduardo, Jeremy Alliadere, Carlos Vera, Emmanuel Adebayor to the likes of Niklas Bendtner, Olivier Giroud among others have all failed to live up to the standards of a top flight club. Having noted that, was Danny Welbeck really, I mean REEEAAALLLYY the right transfer to make?? In a club as big as Arsenal(or perhaps as big as it used to be!!), a club that's competition in 5 leagues(4th position being the 5th league), I don't think Danny Welbeck was the right transfer to make. If you can buy Mesut Özil at £42m, you could as well buy Diego Costa, Luis Suarez, etc.
And Mikel Arteta?? I don't think he can surely play as a deep six. He's too weak, slow and moves just anyhowly. For example in that match against Dortmund, how can an anchor-man, a person who's supposed to act like a shock-absorber in the team be forward past Jack Wilshere & Ramsey?? Imobile picked the ball from midfield and ran all the way to the box because the defense was just soo exposed! Arsenal needs a better defensive midfielder than just Arteta.
Anyways that's my opinion.
And I'm actually an Arsenal fan.
No comments:
Post a Comment