Sunday, 24 May 2020

This is what I am thankful for in this year’s Ramadhan


This Ramadhan has been different in so many ways mostly because of COVID-19. Personally, it has been the loneliest Ramadhan ever. You know with the lockdown and stuff. The fact that I had to eat daaku and iftar alone has been excruciating. It got to me and it showed to the extent that my neighbours one day proposed to get me a wife so I won’t have to be so alone. Aha. So thoughtful of them.

But now Ramadhan is done alhamdulillah, and I want to thank the Almighty Allah that has enabled us successfully complete it. I pray we become of those that receive success from it. Ameen.

I am sure most of you have already finished eating your pilau, now lounging on your sofa going through tweets, checking out your Facebook newsfeeds or posting your Eid food photos on Instagram. While y’all do that, I am here writing about what I am grateful for during this year’s Ramadhan

I learnt a new Surah

First of all, I learnt a new surah from the Holy Qur’an. This means a lot to me as I take baby steps into increasing my collection of Qur’an surahs so that I don’t have to recite Surat Ikhlas (Kul huwallahu ahad), Naas, and Falaq.


I got closer to my God

At the beginning of this article, I said this month has been so lonely for me. The good thing is that the loneliness has pushed me closer to my God. I’ve spoken to Him more times than ever in prayer, dhikir, dua, and others. I am grateful that happened because once you get closer to God, He brings the world closer to you too. Just like that.

I didn’t miss a single day

Health is wealth. We all know that. I am grateful that God has kept me healthy all through Ramadhan that I have not missed a single day due to any kind sickness, lack of food, or faith to fast. Many have had to skip days for different reasons but not me. For that, I am grateful.

I strongly believe I caught the night of Lailatul qadr

For my beautiful non-muslim readers, in Islam, the night of Lailatul Qadr is the night of power that is better than 1000 months so every good deed you do during that night is treated as if you did it for more than 83 years, every prayer prayed on that night is answered, and I believe I caught it. Allah knows best.

I’ve got closer to my neighbours

Remember when I said my neighbours wanted to get me a wife? Ok, that is not the reason we got closer. It started way before Ramadhan when we got into this lockdown situation and had to spend more time at home, together (They’re all male).

But Ramdhan made it better as sometimes they would give food for iftar, and I would do the same on other days. Brethren and sistren, nothing brings people together more than food.

Anyway, my neighbours and I are cool buddies now, only that I don’t know their names yet, and they don’t know mine. But I’m working on that. Baby steps, I said.

I’ve done more sadaq than I’ve ever done

This is not to be confused with the occasional food I shared with my neighbours during this Ramdhan. I am grateful God enabled me to extend my helping hand to others during this blessed month. I won’t divulge into the details of what and who I gave because God said if you give with your right hand, it is better for your left hand to not know. So I pray He accepts my sadaq.

I’ve not lacked avocado for a single day

I was going to present this as not lacking what to eat but I thought not lacking avocado is importanter. You see, avocado means so much to me. Avocado is my guy that comes through in those difficult times to save me.

A simple poem I wrote about the avocado I finally got after walking miles looking for it.

Where I live, before Ramadhan, it was very hard to find avocado man there was a time I gave up on it completely. I am so grateful that all through Ramadhan, I managed to get it for iftar and daaku, every single day.

I’ve resisted the urge to share photos of my iftar food

Unlike previous months of Ramadhan when I would even share the water I was going to drink for iftar, I made a deliberate promise to myself that I won’t share photos of my iftar this time around, and I am glad I have resisted the urge of breaking that promise.

Yes, sometimes my iftar has been looking like it was prepared in a Five-star hotel but I have been strong enough not to take photos of it to share on social media. You see, I’ve not even shared photos of my eid food today. For that, I am grateful.

But most importantly, I am grateful for the gift of life. Many started the month but God decided to take them halfway through.

So, that is it. Tell me what you are grateful for in this year’s Ramadhan in the comments below.  


No comments:

Post a Comment