Pages

▼

Pages

▼

Friday, 30 June 2017

Something for something love | The spider tale.

Last week I saw a spider in the top corner of my room. There were no webs. Maybe they were there but just invisible. Just as I was about to sweep it off, I saw it trapping and killing a mosquito. Now just to be clear here, I hate mosquitoes. On top of humming annoyingly in my ears, they cause malaria.

So I was like, “Waaaiiittt a minute, we can actually work together here. We can help each other. I can give you shelter in this corner, and you help me kill those stupid little malaria causing blood sucking insects in return.” And I think at the back of its little mind, or whatever it uses to reason, it said, “Hm, deal!”

Throughout the past week, my room has been quieter, and healthier. No annoying mosquito hummings, no bites. I think right now you are probably asking yourself that, “Why don’t you just use a mosquito net?” Well, I hate mosquito nets. It makes me feel like a helpless fish. It makes me feel trapped. And I may get a panic attack from that kind of feeling.

Today, I checked on my little roommate, and saw that it had moved from the top corner to near my bed. I think it wanted to trap me too. Talk about something like make a big killing (Seen what I did there?). I pushed it back to its corner and told it to stay there, and stop violating the terms and conditions of our rent agreement.

So, we are cohabiting, and this is called ‘Something for something love.’ And oh! It struck me. My relationship with this spider is like those relationships we have with some people. They love you when you have something to offer. They allow you in their life when you are helping them in some way. The moment you cease doing that, they will sweep you out of their life without even a single thought. Without thinking about how many potentially harmful things, you have defended them against.


Wow, I love this spider. If it were not for it, I would not have written this. It is catching the mosquitoes, and it is catching my mind as well. 

4 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed reading it because I empathize with your experience. Despite I don't find them to be the most attractive beings (they probably think the same about me), I stopped killing spiders because I realized how useful they can be! Very sustainable approach lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't find them attractive too. I just let it there because it was providing a service. Aha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the love on earth is something for something, only God gives unconditional love, the rest give love and expect something in return, it might be matearialstic like money or something else like loyalty, love, trust. . . . In life there is nothing as something for nothing.
    So good luck with your symbiotic friend.

    ReplyDelete