Pages

▼

Pages

▼

Wednesday, 14 June 2017

Ugandan administrators are barely in office

You’ve got to love Ugandan Administrators. Yes. Those people that are supposed to be in offices doing stuff. I do not know whether it is just me, but those people are never there.

If you go to their offices between 9 and 11 in the morning, they are not there. You are probably too early. Meanwhile, our official working hours start at 9 am. Probably, there are still stuck in that very annoying morning traffic. Damn I hate that traffic too, but if you have duties to serve in a public office, it is better you wake up early enough so you can beat it, because you have duties to perform. People to serve. Therefore, the traffic excuse is no reason enough for not being in office.

If you go to their offices between noon and 2pm, they are not there. They are out for lunch. Who the hell eats lunch at 12 noon? In my eating experience, whenever I have lunch at noon, I get hungry as early as 4 p.m. I do not know much, but I know I am not the only one. But even so, let’s say you went out for lunch at 12 noon, isn’t it only fair to say that by 1 you should be done already, and so you’re back in office? But no. You are out until 2. Or 3 p.m. What are you eating?????

You cannot go to their offices from 2 p.m. on-wards. Most of them are not there. After lunch, most of these administrators (The people who occupy high offices in organizations and government departments) just do not come back to their offices. They go for what they like to call private business. Alternatively, if they come back, their productivity be the lowest. They are already fatigued after eating, so you are most likely bound to find these lazy bums dozing off in office. You can imagine.

You know their offices should be open until 5 p.m., because it is the OFFICIAL, time, I mean; it is even in the word itself. However, the possibility of that happening is the same as having satan apologize to God and reconcile. Slim. More like impossible. They leave office early saying that they do not want to be stuck, again, in that very annoying (I am going to use this word a lot) crazy evening traffic.

Therefore, that is a full day of doing nothing. You cannot get them after 5 p.m., it is obviously past office time. If you wanted them for something as little as a stamp and signature on your document, or discuss some business deal, you may have to wait for tomorrow, or the day after that. In addition, they are selective with the days they appear at office. If you are in luck, you have a high chance of seeing them on Monday (between 11 and 12 noon), up to like Wednesdays. Their weekend begins on Thursday. 

If you are lucky enough to find them in office, they may ask whether you have an appointment to see them. Which means you have to check in with their very overly annoying secretaries (I have failed to understand why they have such a bad attitude) and make one. Which may be in a month or so because the other days the guy is already booked, booked by stuff that mostly require him not to be in office, and so he is going to be busy.


Mind you, these are people who are paid a lot of money for the work they almost never do. Did I say you gotta love them? No. It was just a figurative speech. I cannot wait to become president and hold everyone accountable. You have to be in office from 9 to 5. Just 8 hours of 24. Be there. Execute your duties.

4 comments:

  1. Had a sad, empathizing smile when I read this - to find out that my home Country (Brazil) is not alone with this kind of problem...to ponder about this universal irresponsibility that most of us ( I know I am passive) put up with. I agree and understand your point. that if one person (could be you, could be me, could be a friend or stranger) is assigned to do a job/work, we better execute it in the best of our abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great insight. I just don't understand why they try so hard to apply for those jobs(or accept appointments) and then once they're in, they neglect their duties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my home Country, most try hard to apply because of its title (people usually "look up" those who attain such positions because they know they are hard,competitive and hard positions to get in) or because of its great benefits (great retirement packages and greater job stability.) What about in yours?

      Delete
    2. Same here. They even get to a level of bribing the future employer or the person in human resource, so as to get those jobs. After getting them, and getting high on the hierarchy, they just literally stop working. Sad but true.

      Delete